Friday, December 6, 2013

Bill Clinton asks Nelson Mandela: Didn't you hate them?

 
1918-2013 Thank you, President Mandela

Thanks for this reminder today from Joe Carlasare on FaceBook


"Tell me the truth: when you were walking down the road [leaving the prison] that last time didn't you hate them?" Clinton said he questioned Mandela.

"He said briefly: 'I did. I am old enough to tell the truth.' He said: 'I felt hatred and fear but I said to myself, if you hate them when you get in that car you will still be their prisoner. I wanted to be free and so I let it go.' "

"He said: 'People can take everything from you. I lost my family, the chance to see my children grow up, the best years of my life. They can take everything except your mind and your heart. Those things I decided not to give away. He looked at me and smiled and said: neither should you.' ”

No comments:

Post a Comment