Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Was the American Dream Hijacked by 40 Years of Super Rich Control?

By Tom Wendorf

I have a long-term interest in big picture trends. I believe it is impossible to evaluate short-term policy in government without understanding the tides of history. I think we all sense that somewhere, our body politic went off the rails. I had more opportunity and a better life than my parents and grandparents. I fear our children will have it much harder and much worse. I believe that fear is shared by many.

A couple of weeks ago, Dr. Jeffrey Winters from Northwestern University, spoke on his new book, American Oligarchs on WBEZ’s Worldview. You can listen to this fascinating discussion at http://www.wbez.org/worldview/2011-10-28. He explains how the super rich, for their personal benefit, have controlled our politics in the last 40 years. You can also read his thesis in American Affairs at www.the-american-interest.com/article.cfm?piece=1048.

He makes it very clear that money interests have railroaded our democracy. Most voters fail to realize their perspective is manipulated by the super rich money interests for the benefit of very few rich people. This 2012 election fight will be extraordinary. I’ve come to believe it is for the soul of America and saving the American Dream. It is the most important election of my lifetime. 

Please read and listen to what Dr. Winters has to say. I hope he motivates all of us to set aside our differences and work hard to win seats for progressive Democrats. Pass this information on. I think your neighbors are looking for answers. These are the answers to where we went wrong and how to get back on track.

Tom Wendorf is Operations Coordinator for Milton Township Democrats

No comments:

Post a Comment