Illinois Department of Transportation has set public meetings on high-speed rail between St. Louis and Chicago. All meetings are from 4 to 7 p.m. (come and go).
* Springfield: Monday; Prairie Capital Convention Center, 1 Convention Center Plaza
* Joliet: Tuesday, Oct. 25; Jacob Henry Mansion, Victorian Ballroom, 15 S. Richards St.
* Bloomington: Thursday, Oct. 27: Double Tree Hotel, 10 Brickyard Drive
* Carlinville: Wednesday, Nov. 2; Blackburn College, Woodson Center, 700 College Ave.
* Alton: Thursday, Nov. 3; Holiday Inn Ballroom, 3800 Homer Adams Parkway
For more information, go here.
The public meetings regard drafting of an
environmental impact statement for the Chicago - St. Louis corridor.
This environmental impact statement deals with double tracking the Union
Pacific Railroad south of Joliet and making other improvements north of
Joliet to reduce transit times. The goal for this project is a four
hour trip time, with 9 daily round-trips. The planning for 220-mph
trains, which will result in a 2 hour trip, is being handled separately.
It is very important that we show our support for the State's high-speed
rail program. Please consider attending one of the meetings listed above. There will be an opportunity at the meetings for you to make a
statement expressing your support.